illustrator and Designer


Represented by Lori Nowicki
Linda knew her calling to be an illustrator when she could only think of her everyday experiences in terms of an illustration. Graduating from University of Illinois Champaign -Urbana in 1987 as a graphic designer, she located in NYC and embarked on a freelance career in illustration.
Her experience as an illustrator covers a wide range of design disciplines; editorial,corporate identity, logos, and children's books. Some of her clients include WallStreet Journal, Christian Science Monitor, Cooking Light, Business Week, Scholastic Books, Simon and Schuster Publishing, Dutton Publishing, and Sterling Publishing.
She lives in Wisconsin with her husband and two children.

Monday, June 6, 2016

My Hip Journey

It has been almost two years since I posted on my professional blog page, an appropriate time to post as it is Hip Awareness month.  Time simply stopped in 2014. I had to refocus my attention to more important tasks like regaining my strength and stability after two orthopedic surgeries and a pending third reconstructive hip surgery. I had two hip replacements and a spinal decompression of lower lumbar, due to a late diagnosis of hip dysplasia at age 46.  The first surgery was in October 2012 and the last in May 2015.
My 15 years of back pain was finally identified as hip dysplasia. It is one of those invisible disabilities that no one really has heard about in humans, but once you say it you are quickly categorized, "like a dog". Yes like a dog, but unlike a dog I have to get up and take care my family, continue working, do my exercises, and go to numerous doc appointments to continue staying functional. Your limits are tested daily and you long to be the old energetic person you once were. You learn a lot about yourself and some things you would rather not acknowledge. Your friends have no idea what is wrong with you. They make their own assumptions. Soon you start to isolate and friend your circle becomes very small. A once very social, highly active, community involved person reduced to a few tasks a day. Daily life is prioritized into important tasks, kids needs and care, husband, keeping house going, and oh yes most importantly keeping yourself going.

While all this was going on I still needed to stay inspired, create beautiful happy pictures, and continue thinking of new ideas. On the inside I was from suffering from excruciating muscle skeletal pain as my body and brain began to rewire.  I wanted to get back to the things I had passion and energy to do before, but over the last year that reality changed. I am a new person reborn into a different body.  My illustration style needed to change, my workspace need adaptation, and what I wanted to do creatively also changed.

In my quest to become functional and lower pain, I began immersing myself in the understanding of anatomy, teaching myself all the muscles you use to stay upright, move, and walk. I began understanding and teaching myself functions of the nervous system and how nerves supplied impulses to muscles to make them function. I have studied the concept of neuro plasticity. I subscribed to exercise channels to help myself regain strength. I continued receiving physical therapy. I would read numerous inspirational articles of people overcoming physical obstacles to inspire myself to get better.

Soon my illustrating career took backseat, but I continued to work after each surgery and probably not the best strategy for my situation. In any case, I completed two lift-flap board books What’s in My Truck and What’s in My Train, contributed to a spread to a picture book Margaret Wise Brown’s book Goodnight Songs, and one picture book Margaret Wise Brown’s Tickly Spider. I also worked with Christian Science Monitor Art Director John Kehe on human-interest stories. It was a nice diversion from all the physical therapy. In my opinion, I think my best work by far to this date. What’s In My Truck became my best seller. Scholastic agreed to pick up What’s in My Train due out this fall.  The royalty check I received lately is helping me cover my out of pocket medical modality costs that include, acupuncture, massage, and chiropractic care to get me back to my passion.

I’m not sure what my next project will be, but my health journey has really opened my brain to a whole new world of thought. Take this month to make a commitment to better hip health. Start by enrolling in a functional exercise program to gain stability if you feel you need some strength. 






No comments: