illustrator and Designer


Represented by Lori Nowicki
Linda knew her calling to be an illustrator when she could only think of her everyday experiences in terms of an illustration. Graduating from University of Illinois Champaign -Urbana in 1987 as a graphic designer, she located in NYC and embarked on a freelance career in illustration.
Her experience as an illustrator covers a wide range of design disciplines; editorial,corporate identity, logos, and children's books. Some of her clients include WallStreet Journal, Christian Science Monitor, Cooking Light, Business Week, Scholastic Books, Simon and Schuster Publishing, Dutton Publishing, and Sterling Publishing.
She lives in Wisconsin with her husband and two children.

Monday, September 30, 2013

Sketching Your Way to Recovery


Some of my friends have asked that I write a blog about what happened to me this year. I feel uneasy writing about this as there are so many others with far greater challenges in life, but I decided to go ahead and share my story in hopes that it might help someone facing their own personal challenge.

As I approached my 50’s I thought a sagging chin line and a few wrinkles would be my biggest health problem, but the good Lord blessed me with shallow hip sockets.  Let’s say I had a little work done this year except I started from the bottom. Yes Lady Gaga and I have something in common we both had hip surgery this year, but I was really born this way.  It’s been almost a year now in recovery since my hip was replaced. It was a long year and at times I really didn’t think I’d get through it, but things are settling and  looking better today.

 I have always been defined by my accomplishments. I worked hard and I played hard. My 8 siblings called me wild woman when I was a kid. At 23 I moved to New York City and started a career as a freelance illustrator. I had very little money and I was a farm girl from the Midwest and I didn't know any better.  I met my husband that first fall in NYC. He was a chemical engineer who sold products for Union Carbide and three years later we married and moved to Chicago. After two years at his corporate job, he left to go back to medical school. We had our son in his third year of medical school and my daughter in the internship year. After his residency and three moves we settled in Milwaukee. I thought finally after 10 years of supporting our family it was going to be my time to have fun. And so I did. I played hard and I worked hard, that was my moto. Everything I did was over the top, to some.  I played competitive golf, ran my own company, continued to work as an illustrator and moved on to writing children's books, kayaked, became an avid cyclist, volunteered my time as a den leader, and gave my talents to the local recreational theater department, a group that my daughter became involved in, and all the things you do as a mom.  At times I felt I was running on an engine that wouldn't stop. At times I admit I knew somehow some day I would never be able to do all this and so I pushed hard to do everything. There was just that sense of something coming. Then something rather odd happened. It was the winter of 2010 and I had come to pick my daughter up at a Catholic Lenten seminar. I hadn't planned on staying, but the program was running late. I was thinking I hope I get out of here soon I have so much to do. I proceeded to sit down in a pew and wait patiently.  The moderator said, "I want you to turn a person next to you, they should be someone you do not know, and ask them has your faith ever been challenged by something?"  I thought to myself well not really. Sure life wasn't the easiest for the first 20 years of our marriage, but it didn't seem that bad in retrospect.  My answer was “No, not really.” Then everything started to change after that.

I will preface that I struggled with back pain from 1999 to the present. I just chalked it up to over use. After all I was hyper active and never knew when to stop.  In 2008 I had an MRI of my back. Nothing remarkable was found. Just weak core muscles they said. So I started working out with a friend who was trainer. I became strong, but I always hurt. For the next few years I really challenged my body physically with exercise in various forms.   In the spring of 2011 I started having problems with my feet and then summer came I started feeling pains in my hips when I walked long distances. After months of hip and back pain, and inability to walk comfortably I went to a physical therapist. After two months she suspected I had some significant problems and urged me to see an orthopedic surgeon. In the spring of 2012 I was diagnosed with acetabular dysplasia. In simple terms my hip sockets were very shallow. I was born this way and never knew it.  Not knowing this, I played many sports and participated in activities throughout my life that were hard on my joints and subsequently my right hip finally gave out. I not only had hip degeneration, but I had torn my adductor tendon from the femur being subluxed.  I was told I would have a hip replacement.  No driving for two months after the surgery and I would be on a walker for about 6 weeks and then move to a cane. Everyone assured me I'd be fine.  “What did you say doc? Gulp! “ After my appointment I called my husband who was on spring break with my son and I started to cry. I never cried very much, well maybe in a little here a there. I was tough and I prided myself how tough I could be. The latest news seemed like a big challenge, but I thought, “Yes I can do this, lots of people have hips replaced.” What I didn’t know was that the challenge would be far greater than I imagined on many levels.

 My mother who was ill urged me to have it fixed sooner, but I assured her I would need to wait until October. In August my mother passed away unexpectedly. In October of 2012 they gave me a new hip. What I learned after was that the hip was reconstructed not just replaced. Muscles had shifted and tendons stretched. Things had been in places they had never been in a long time.  It was pain I had never experienced before. At one point while lying in my hospital bed I said to a dear friend, "Why am I in so much pain?" She said, "Linda they cut your leg off!"  "Right", I said and then we laughed. I know an odd reaction, but you would have to know me. I still couldn’t believe I had a hip replaced, but I excepted it and again thought, “Well, I ‘ll be okay lots of people have hips replaced.”  Things seemed to be going as expected weeks after the replacement was a success.  I adjusted to using a walker. Friends drove me everywhere, people cooked for me, and my family did all the chores.  The things you have to do for some me time. One day I went to the town hall to vote.   I was surprised all these senior citizens and I was the only one on a walker. I saw the humor in it and quickly made a joke. That's what I always do, I make light of things. About 7 weeks post op I complained of terrible back pain. Everything looked normal on the x-rays and it was weird that I should have these pains in my back. Now I was in a wheel chair a week before Christmas and I couldn't even stand. The pain was excruciating. An MRI revealed that not only was I blessed with no hip sockets; I also was blessed with early onset stenosis in my spine along with degenerative disc disease with one herniated and the other torn. The nerves to my legs had been pinched off. While initially they said I would not require surgery and given months of PT and pain management procedures, they in fact deemed me a surgical candidate after everything had failed. My hip surgeon said to me in the end of April “If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, it is a duck.” So I waddled in and had a decompression and foraminectomy in mid May of this year. My medical vocabulary has been growing by leaps and bounds.
 “Wow”, I thought, this was a lot to handle in less than a year!  It's amazing what great doctors and therapists can do for you, but ultimately it comes down to yourself for that final recovery.   Finally God I could answer you. “Yes I am challenged! Do you hear me?  I am challenged! Can you stop already?”
My approach to life has always been to face your adversity head on and tackle it with vengeance. This was definitely full confrontation and I knew I had no choice but to tackle it.

I had tried to prepare myself for this change. I put a bed downstairs for the hip replacement.  Made a corner of activities I could do in bed while I rested for those many months. I made physical changes, but the mental changes were the hardest to make.  I have to admit I really didn't feel like doing anything, but watching TV after I had the hip replaced, but that got old really quickly. I also tried to read, but my attention span from the anesthesia waned and the pain meds made me groggy and unmotivated. I became something I had never been, inactive, unfocused, and unmotivated. I had never used any drugs stronger than Aleve for pain. I always lived a clean life and now I am on oxycodone daily. Friends and my family would make quips about my drug behavior and of course I would laugh along, but inside I was crying. I was so depressed.  How would I ever get out of this state?  I had doctors and physical therapists helping me with the physical rehab and surgery, but the mental part was pretty much left to myself. By the grace of the great many friends I have, they helped me along with encouragement. Without my friends I don't think it would have been as successful a recovery.  While I could no longer do the things I enjoyed, sports, volunteering, and doing for others, I became incapacitated. I had to use the motorized scooters to shop and still do occasionally. I was so humbled and insecure. Along with my friends support, what really saved me were my artistic and creative gifts. I always knew they were gifts, but I never really knew to what depths. I truly feel blessed. God had given me something no one could take away.  While some would say," Isn't this terrible what you have had to go through?” I would respond sure, but I really grew from this and it made me a better person overall. Adversity sometimes brings the best out in people. 

I was never a quitter. I always saw to the end of everything and this is and was no exception. I still have daily struggles with pain, and possible future surgeries, as I am still battling some orthopedic challenges in my other hip, but now I am in a better place to handle those struggles.  I make swimming, stretching, and strengthening a daily routine. I have been able to get off the painkillers for now, which was a big hurdle as you overcome anxiety about possible pain that you may experience. It’s little like going down that double black diamond ski hill. Besides, my teenagers will never let me quit. They do not like seeing me this way. I try very hard everyday to smile and be brave.  Everyday no matter how I feel I pick something to do creatively whether it’s making a pillow, redoing a piece of furniture, drawing a picture, and whatever comes to my head and I go for it. Whatever my body will allow me to do that day that is what I do. I remember what my mother said to me in her final months, “Always look to the person next to you their problems seem so much worse.“ Keeping perspective is so important when you are struggling with a physical challenge.

I have always kept sketchbooks and this time I started to keep daily sketches to pass the time, keep my brain active, and focus away from pain. I would get into a meditative state and draw whatever came to my mind. Prior to my surgery I was stuck in a creative rut. I tried to grow artistically, but I couldn't. Daily life got in the way. Now I had an excuse to be selfish with my time. I was allowed to sit and be alone. Frankly I think my family thought it best at times to keep their distance from me. I don't want you to picture a rosy happy atmosphere while I rehabbed. I struggled with pain, anger, frustration, grief, and a serious case of self-pity on a daily basis.  My sketchbooks kept my sanity. Sketchbooks are usually private visual diaries. I am now going back and reviewing them all and I 'd like to share some of these with you. 
I hope and I pray for those of my friends who may struggle that they are too blessed with a talent, skill, or attribute that helps them cope with their daily struggles. As my mom would say “Never waist your talents.” And if anyone asks you, “Has your faith ever been challenged?,  you might want to think about that a little longer before you reply.

“Never to suffer would never to have been blessed.” 










No comments: