illustrator and Designer


Represented by Lori Nowicki
Linda knew her calling to be an illustrator when she could only think of her everyday experiences in terms of an illustration. Graduating from University of Illinois Champaign -Urbana in 1987 as a graphic designer, she located in NYC and embarked on a freelance career in illustration.
Her experience as an illustrator covers a wide range of design disciplines; editorial,corporate identity, logos, and children's books. Some of her clients include WallStreet Journal, Christian Science Monitor, Cooking Light, Business Week, Scholastic Books, Simon and Schuster Publishing, Dutton Publishing, and Sterling Publishing.
She lives in Wisconsin with her husband and two children.

Monday, March 3, 2014

Creative Process: Inspiration, Need, and Transformation

Many times I am asked about my creative process. My answer is never one answer just like the creative process. Sometimes projects are fluid and short lived and others, in the case of books, seem to go on forever.
Some times a concept or an idea for a book will rise out of a need for a topic I think needs attention. Others form out of sketches from my sketch books. My latest book project ,which is a novelty lift the flap book, focuses on trucks. My initial sketch phase started back in 2008, as I found there was a void in the market for young boy books. The initial concept was pitched as a series of complicated fold out books hi-lighting uses of trucks in their environments. I had three concepts mocked up. I had shown the books around to several publishers. In 2011 Scholastic found a vision and we began to discuss the direction of the book. It would be in the form of a short lift the flap book. I began reworking the concept in the new format. The final art was due to be delivered in late 2012, but due to some personal health problems and the publisher feeling that the project was being rushed it was put on hold. In late 2013 it was put back on to Scholastic's 2014 releases. Now we were going into phase three of this book. This time I had to rework the entire style to accommodate my inability to sit for long periods of time. I had just had back surgery in May of 2013. A sample art had to be created for the art director and publisher to make sure I could use this style for the book. It involved conventional execution of art andphotoshop. A majority of the work was done in a lying down position.  So in July I had the go ahead to finish all five spreads. There were many pieces and parts to figure out, but I achieved the task.

Today it is March 2014 and we finally wrapped the project and it is going to press next week. It will be released this fall by Scholastic.  Patience is my modo and I continue be ever patient with myself as an artist, collaborator, and writer. Some artists have flashes of inspiration, and process seems to run so smoothly, but I continue my process of tacking with the winds of need and how the project might be sold. I never have held strong to one idea in trying to get a project published and found my ability to bend my best attribute. It has served me well in both my professional and personal life.

No comments: